Title in Estonian: Infootsingud ja andmebaaside kasutamine
Title in English: Library and information skills
Amount of credits (1 ECTS=26 hours): 2 ECTS
Duration in semesters: 1
Course type: Regular course
Final assessment: Non-differentiated
RPL can be used for this course: Yes
Aim: The aim of this course is to introduce library's resources and services to Estonian University of Life Sciences foreign students and assist them in developing the basic information searching and management skills.
After this course students:
- know how to use the library's sources and services;
- are familiar with the basic steps and strategies of information search and you can apply that knowledge in different databases and catalogues (EBSCOhost, ScienceDirect, Web of Science, Full Text Finder, EBSCO Discovery Service);
- are aware of good practice in academic writing and have a basic knowledge about EMÜ guidelines for writing and formatting final theses.
This is a web-based e-course. Estonian University of Life Sciences uses e-learning environment Moodle. The course consists of five modules:
2) How to search? (Planning a search, subject terms, Boolean operators, phrase search, nesting, filters etc.)
3) Where to search? (EBSCO, ScienceDirect, Web of Science, EBSCO Discovery Service, Full Text Finder)
4) Academic writing (e.g. referencing, citing)
5) Conclusion (reflecting on your learning experience)
There is a separate block for each module on the e-learning environment Moodle. In each block the content, learning outcomes and assignments are described.
- Õpetaja/Teacher: Karin Naruskov